You will find the 7 hectare garden at Sizergh to be extremely varied, ranging from the formality of the hot wall to the informality of the magnificent rock garden. Sizergh garden has been allowed to evolve and expand gradually over 300 years and is still being developed to this day.
The oldest part of the garden at Sizergh is the terraced lawn which extends southwards from the house, bounded on one side by a brick-faced fruit wall. This area was laid out in the l8th-century, incorporating some l7th-century elements.
Much of Sizergh garden was developed in the mid 1920’s including the quarter hectare limestone Rock Garden, the terrace and the enlargement of the lake. The Kitchen Garden, re-opened in spring 2003 and the newest area the Stumpery opened in 2016, provides an additional area for Sizergh’s four national collections of hardy fern.
Opening times: Garden open 14 January – 24 December, 10am-4pm (for house opening times see website)
Admission rates: Please refer to website.
Group rate: Please refer to website.
Facilities: Shop, Café and disabled toilets
Disabled access: Please refer to website.
Toilets on site: Yes
Car/coach parking: Yes
Guided tours: Please refer to website.
Special events: Please refer to website, various events throughout the year.
Length of visit: 2 hours
Booking Contact: Business Support, Sizergh, National Trust, Nr Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8DZ
Telephone: 015395 60951
Location: From the M6, exit at junction 36, then take A590 towards Kendal, take Barrow-in-Furness turning and follow brown signs. Parking: 250 yards from the main entrance. Sat-Nav: enter LA8 8DZ